When an accident involving uninsured motorists occurs, it is reasonable to be concerned about getting compensation for damages. Although all vehicle owners are required by law to have “automobile liability insurance” the reality is that many people today drive without adequate or any automobile insurance. Also, not every driver on the road own the vehicle they are driving or is covered under the policy of the vehicle owner. In fact, based on an Insurance Research Council (IRC) study, approximately 30 million American vehicle owners do not have insurance. In the study period, according to IRC data, the number of uninsured driver in Florida was a whopping 23%.
There are also a number of variables that may be in play in accidents with an uninsured driver such as…
- The driver could be using a company vehicle.
- The vehicle could have been borrowed from a family member or friend whose insurance does not cover the borrower.
- The car may have been stolen by the uninsured driver.
However, there are legal options that may be explored with a qualified personal injury and uninsured motorist claims attorney as well as ways to protect yourself in the event that you are in an accident with an uninsured driver. Some steps you can take to protect yourself before an accident with an uninsured driver occurs include:
- Purchasing uninsured motorist (UIM) coverage in addition to your standard auto insurance policy. The UIM coverage protects you from an “at fault” uninsured driver. However, bear in mind that in most states, the UIM coverage amount cannot exceed the amount of your standard liability coverage. That means if you have $50,000 in liability coverage your UIM cannot exceed that sum. Although UIM will provide some compensation for damages caused by an uninsured driver, it may not be sufficient to pay for all accident related medical expenses, vehicle damage, and other losses. It is also important to note that most insurance companies impose a time limit on policy owners for filing an UIM claim.
- Adding “Collision” coverage to your existing policy. This primarily covers accident related repairs to your vehicle by an uninsured driver or hit-and-run driver. It does not cover any costs associated with injuries.
There are also legal options that can cover pain and injury costs such as medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages in accidents involving a driver who has little or no liability insurance. It is however, important to explore all your options in a timely manner by first reporting the accident to your insurance company and discussing your accident with a qualified personal injury attorney. Legal counsel can help you to understand…
- How the laws in your state apply to compensation relevant to uninsured driver negligence.
- What to do if the uninsured has assets or income that can be used to pay the settlement amount.
- Whether or not the company is liable for the negligence of an uninsured motorist who was driving the company’s vehicle during working hours when the accident occurred.
- What you can do if your insurance company is minimizing the damages to avoid giving you a fair compensation.
To learn more about your rights after sustaining an injury due to the negligence of an uninsured driver, call for a free consultation today at (561) 655-1990 or visit our website.
Uninsured Motorist Claims Attorney in West Palm Beach
About Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath
Conveniently located in West Palm Beach for 27 years, Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath, LLP concentrates in Personal Injury, Wrongful death, Medical Malpractice, Product Liability and Auto accidents. At Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath, we specialize in helping victims and their families get fair compensation for injuries caused by the negligence or recklessness of others. Our main areas of practice include personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, product liability, medical malpractice, and premise liability. We provide each client with the highest quality representation from a top Florida accident and injury lawyer.
Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath
515 N Flagler Dr, 10th Floor
West Palm Beach
Florida, FL 33401
© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved.