After a tragic accident, loved ones left behind can experience varying levels of pain and suffering. The grieving process can be even more intense for survivors of the deceased when they realize that the accident happened due to the recklessness of another. Fatalities that occur as a direct result of the careless behavior of a person or irresponsible practices of a company are referred to as “wrongful death” incidents. Under these negligent conditions, compensatory damages for survivors is contingent on state laws.
Wrongful death can be caused by a number of neglectful or irresponsible actions such as being distracted while driving, through drug or alcohol impairment, medical malpractice by a doctor or nursing staff, defective products, abusive treatment in a nursing home, unsafe conditions in a home or business place, fundamental flaws in a building or structure and insufficient signage denoting danger on walkways and roadways among others.
After a wrongful death situation, many families are uncertain about their rights and whether or not they should expect to be compensated. These uncertainties can cause delays that prevent them from seeking damages even when the wrongful death creates undue financial hardship. Although there are limitations on compensation amounts and who qualifies to file a wrongful death suit, every state permits recovery of compensation for a wrongful death. The distinction is usually drawn between an individual’s right to recover damage after the loss of a relative or an estate’s right to recover losses to the estate.
If you are dealing with a wrongful death situation, the following are pertinent steps to take. These can ensure that as a legitimate survivor, you get the compensation that is rightfully yours as dictated by the laws of your state.
- Keep track of everything to do with the events surrounding the accident up until the death such as…
- All medical and hospital bills
- Payments for health care services
- Bills for medical equipment
- Cost for medication
- Funeral expenses
2.Get a copy of the accident report and death certificate.
3. Make a note of any relevant information about the accident, type of medical treatment received if any, time spent in the hospital and relevant out of pocket expenses for traveling or child care that was incurred because of the accident and death.
4. Retain all financial information such as employment check stubs that can show a loss of financial support from the deceased from the date of the accident until the date of their death. This can also include documentation of loss of other future benefits that prove hardship or damages experienced by the family due to the wrongful death situation.
5. Retain a qualified and experienced attorney who can:
- Provide you with appropriate counsel, guidance and representation.
- Thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the wrongful death event.
- File your claim and advocate for your rights in and out of court.
- Evaluate and estimate a reasonable wrongful death settlement for the family.
- Be responsive and supportive throughout the litigation process.
If someone you love has died due to the negligence of another, the compassionate staff at the Law Offices of Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath can help you to file your claim against the responsible party and get your family back on track. To learn more about getting compensation for a tragic wrongful death of a loved one, please contact Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath at 561) 655-1990 or visit our website.
About Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath
Conveniently located in West Palm Beach for 27 years, Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath, LLP concentrates in Personal Injury, Wrongful death, Medical Malpractice, Product Liability and Auto accidents. At Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath, we specialize in helping victims and their families get fair compensation for injuries caused by the negligence or recklessness of others. Our main areas of practice include personal injury, wrongful death, auto accidents, product liability, medical malpractice, and premise liability. We provide each client with the highest quality representation from a top Florida accident and injury lawyer.
Lytal, Reiter, Smith, Ivey & Fronrath
515 N Flagler Dr, 10th Floor
West Palm Beach
Florida, FL 33401
© Copyright 2018. All Rights Reserved.